Monday, July 14, 2008

Digital Doom

There's been a lot of talk about photo retouching recently. And I do think it is deeply wrong to give cover girls and models in ads perfect pore-free skin and twiglet arms. It is completely unrealistic and makes the rest of us feel inadequate compared to something that is fiction. It's like comparing yourself to a Manga cartoon or a Barbie doll.

However, after years of holding off, I have just purchased my first digital camera and suddenly a bit of retouching seems sensible. Come back Photoshop - all is forgiven. Man I never knew I was such a troll. This baby has pushed my magnifying mirror into the ha'penny place. I can see things when I zoom in on a photo that aren't even visible to the naked eye. The fatal combination of zoom, flash and teeny weeny megapixels picks up details that the eye and brain frankly don't have time for. Seriously, things I can't even see with the magnifying mirror are now on my 'things to fret about and find a treatment for' list. Which, dammit, is already long enough.

Now, if I can just find a nice sheer stocking to stick over the lens, all will be soft focus loveliness...

No comments: